Thursday, September 02, 2010

Asthma sucks

A couple of weeks ago I had to quit going to the GYM because I was having problems breathing while working out. Then I started having problems with coughing up gunk almost every day. This is usually a sign of my asthma symptoms, but I don't usually have the problem every day, maybe just once a week. I take my allergy pill regularly. Take Aciphex to control gastric reflux which can cause asthma. I try to eat right. But sometimes (in the late summer - fall time of year) I just can't control it.

Today was one of those days. Funny thing about not being able to push the bad air out of your lungs - it makes you not think straight. I can't even make the decision for myself to go to the doctor. I keep thinking it will get better. It didn't. I finally went to the doctor. I was coughing, tight chest, and I guess the doctor couldn't really hear the air leaving my lungs. They did a breathing treatment. I wasn't very improved. Only improved enough for the doctor to hear the wheezing as the air was trying to leave. So she wanted to admit me to the hospital so that I could be put on every 6 hour breathing treatments and IV antibiotics and steroids and a chest x-ray in case I had pneumonia.

So off to St. Mary's I went. I am feeling anxious because I was leaving a lot of unfinished business at work. My boss was counting on me. I feel like I am letting everyone down.

But right now I guess I need to do everything the medical staff says so that I can start breathing better. Tomorrow morning I will have the results of the blood tests and chest x-ray. Maybe I have pneumonia and didn't know it. Maybe I just have a bad case of asthma.

After about two hours of trying to start an IV, I finally was able to complete a dose of Rocephin and Zithromax and got a dose of Solu-Medrol. I have had three breathing treatments also. I am still coughing a little, have a tight chest and wheeze on expiration. Hopefully after Dave visits tonight I can sleep and feel better in the morning.

I also feel bad that I am adding to Dave's stress. He is already working long hours and now he is probably worrying about me (a little).

At least he doesn't have to take care of me in the hospital like I took care of him back in August of 2000.

No comments: