Saturday, September 04, 2010

2nd half of day 4

Still short of breath and having attacks even with all the steroids and breathing treatments. The doctor said that my body is just taking a little longer to respond to the medication. But my O2 stats are looking good and my lungs are sounding better.

They don't have the results of the CT chest scan. They want to be sure there isn't an underlying problem that is preventing me from getting better. But it is probably just me being slow.

I haven't had severe problems with asthma except for when I have had bronchitis or pneumonia, although in retrospect, the bronchitis/pneumonia might have been caused by the asthma. So whenever I got sick, it would last for months on end. But I thought I was doing better at staying healthy, staying cold free and if I was short of breath, I would take small measures to fix it. This time, no cold/bronchitis symptoms, so it kind of surprised me when my breathing seemed to be compromised so quickly. But in looking back the last few weeks, even two months, I should have paid atttention to some signs that something wasn't right. At night I was having trouble staying asleep and getting up 3-4 times a night, with lots of snoring and restlessness. I would have thought I would be sleeping better because I felt very tired and weak during the day. A consequence of not sleeping was that my concentration level was getting worse. I was having trouble completing projects at work. But all this was happening very slowly.

One thing I can do in the future is to use a peak flow meter daily and track how I do on that. If I start doing poorly on that, then I can talk to my doctor and see if I need to change my medications for my asthma.

I am not sure if I am feeling better tomorrow and the doctor still doesn't have the CT chest scan results if he will let me go home. I know that they don't want to send me home and then have me get worse and have to be admitted again.

We will see what day 5 brings tomorrow.

On another note: My husband is the greatest. He is having to work overtime at work and still he has made time to come to visit, call and make sure that I have the things I need. He has provided me with clean underwear, socks, some extra clothes, food from outside the hospital, and he loving and calming personality. He sat with me this morning for a bit and almost immediately I relaxed and was even starting to fall asleep. I noticed he was dosing off also. For some reason we have that affect on each other...to put the other person at complete ease and even calm each other down. I love just holding his hand because his hand is warm and comforting. I don't think I have ever held anyone else's hand has felt that way to me. I am so thankful I have him in my life.

2 comments:

Mindy Richmond said...

Your words about Dave brought tears to my eyes. It just plain sucks that we are all so far away but thank God you have someone like Dave by your side. You know I know from experience what a blessing that is.

claudia selleck said...

I just read your entry.. so sorry you are still in the hospital. It's 2am right now and I just crawled out of bed about 5 minutes ago because I can't sleep. (Could have something to do with the 3 cups of coffee I drank before bed..LOL)
I hope the news on your results will come back great.. I have to "Amen" Mindy's comment "Thank God you have someone like Dave by your side." That really is a blessing! Know that you are still in my thoughts and prayers. Get well and home soon...
Claudia