Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Smart Girl's Guide to SPORTS

I have a delimna. I was reading this book and enjoyed the first chapter about basketball. The author had some stuff in the book that I didn't know yet and she has a witty way of writing. So I looked forward to the next chapter, which was about football. The second paragraph of this chapter turned me off and I have not been able to read any further. I know it is petty, but I dislike what she said and now cannot get past it. It has been two or more weeks and I still cannot get past this.

This is what offended me:

"One could argue that you have to be a little dumb to play a game where guys who can weigh 300 or more pounds - most of it muscle - come charging at you with all their might to bash into you and knock you down. Human instinct would compel you to run for your life in the opposite direction. But the truth is that football is too complex to be played by dumb players. Of course, some player are smarter than others. (But this is also the case with our esteemed presidents. Need I remind you that our current president has trouble staying conscious and eating pretzels at the same time?)

I cannot even read any further. This seems like a very cheap shot. I don't like the reference. Up until now, I have enjoyed her wit, but this is not witty. It is mean and untrue. It is like laughing at someone who trips and falls and goes into a coma.....okay that is extreme. But anyone can choke on something they are eating, and passing out is the normal consequence of having your airway cut off by something that you are eating. Geesh. I don't know if I will ever be able to finish reading this book. Maybe I will get over it....maybe.

6 comments:

Mindy Richmond said...

Did he really choke on a pretzel?

Deborah Ruthenberg said...

Yes, I believe he did.

Mindy Richmond said...

Wow. I don't think you can really judge someone based on an incident such as that. Even more common than choking on pretzels is choking on your own spit. Everyone has done it at least once in their lifetime. Of course it doesn't usually result in unconsciousness, but it's still pretty embarrassing when it happens. I would like to ask that author how many times it has happened to her, and then ask her if maybe that disqualifies her from writing intelligently about anything.

Deborah Ruthenberg said...

That is good, Mindy.

I am trying to find her email so that I can ask her that.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...the "smart girl" turns out to be a smart-ass beyatch!

Kari said...

I find it rather disturbing that it has been consistent over the years that the general public does not like our presidents to be "human".
I mean, are you kidding me?!...