Thursday, March 02, 2006

MAC basketball championships

Next week, Dave and I head to Cleveland for the MAC basketball championship games. I look forward to this. One it gets me out of the house and it is sort of a vacation. Two, I like watching live sports. I will be trying to take some good pictures and post them on the website. Dave and I will have media credentials, so we will have access to places at the arena that the average person does not have access to. Last year, Dave just had media credentials and I was left to fend for myself in the bleachers.

We hope to make connections with certain people this year besides covering the games:
1. The MAC news media association is going to have elections for president on Wednesday and Dave is hoping to get elected. The elections seem very informal, so he may have a chance. This will get him (and I) recognized in the media for the MAC and we will develop more connections.
2. We will be talking to someone from the MAC office to see if there is a way we can promote the weekly radio show, maybe get it syndicated and/or sponsored.

There will be some interesting games at the arena. Toledo and Kent State are two teams to watch. Eastern probably will not be there again this year, but hopefully their program will start turning things around and maybe next year they will make it to the tournament. They have another game on Saturday.

Dave announced the MAC Report Online basketball awards and received a lot of discussion on his picks. He picked a WMU player for one of his picks and the WMU website immediately put that on their page. Then on Sunday night, the same night that he announced the awards, Kalamazoo Channel 3 did a newscast about it. So we are getting some recognition. It is slow going and we are learning as we go.

I have signed up our website to be an affiliate with a few websites. We have Google adsense on our website and so far we have earned a whooping $35 dollars. (so if you check our the website, help us out by clicking on a google ad - ) Sirius has approved our site for affiliate status, so if someone registers with them and even buys their hardware we earn money. Lastly, we get points if people download the Firefox browser or the Thunderbird email client. These are good alternatives to Internet Explorer and Outlook. They aren't as prone to hackers causing problems through IE and messing up your computer.

Well, as you can see, it is 3:30 a.m. and I am finally getting a little tired. I had about two hours sleep and then woke up with a very stuffy nose. I must have forgotten to take my allergy medication this morning and this is what I get.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Baby steps! But, there is definite movement which is great.