Friday, March 17, 2006

A new hairdresser

I am still in search of the best hairdresser for me. I thought that I had found a really good place. Back in November you may remember I wrote about Manny. Well, their prices were very high. The haircut was pretty good, but really, with me working from home, I don't need to have a pricey haircut. Well, in the same plaza where I get my nails done (which by the way are looking just the way I like them, kind of short, pink and white, gel, shiny) is a new salon. So I walk in last night to see if they take walk-ins. I am such a spur of the moment person, it is hard for me to make appointments ahead of time. Well, the place is all fixed up with white doilies and painted pink, red, and black. Patricia greets me warmly. I ask if she has time for a haircut. She says that she does in about 30 minutes or so. I said that I had to get my nails fixed and that I would be back. I had broken a nail at the final game of the basketball championship....a ball came rolling under the table where I was at during practice and somehow the gel nail cracked when I tried to push the ball back out. Don't know how. Anyway, when I came back, she had me come in, sit a table, chat, gave me some water. She had other people she was also working on, her mother and one or two of her friends. The shop just opened last week. She had nice music on. Patricia is Irish and had long, curly red hair. She was probably around my age. I had to wait quite a while to get my haircut, but while I was waiting, I read my book. Periodically, Pat would wash my hair, put a "treatment" on my hair (free because of their grand opening), have me sit under the dryer. The whole atmosphere reminded me of the movie, Steel Magnolias. I was wondering to myself, "Is this the place for me? Do I fit in? Can I see myself coming here over and over again....making friends....relaxing? I hope she cuts my hair okay, so I am not embarassed to go out." Well, finally it is my turn to sit in the chair. She asks if I have ever had my profile read? What? No, I guess not. She shoves my hair all to one side and hands me a mirror to look at my profile. Supposedly I have a good profile that many hairstyles will work with. Good. Then she wonders if I like to take a lot of time with my hair or just like to dry and run. Of course, I am dry and run, no mess kind of person. So she cuts a little bit, uses the razor a little, and voila (vwä-lä), I am done.

Well, now at home, looking at my hair, it looks pretty good. Definitely I will go back and try again.

No comments: