Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Work - the internet brings the world closer

At work today I had to cover for my boss who is in Arizona. I work from Michigan and he is based in Arizona. I have never met this man. I have only talked to him on the phone. His name is Dave Drabo. I really like working for him. I answer the phones for the company from 8 to 4 EST and then Dave has the phones the rest of the time. He has two or three programmers that work on the Intrascript program. Dave gets clients lined up and he and I train the new clients on the program. We also answer and troubleshoot problems that the clients have. It can sometimes get quite busy. One of the clients is paying extra to use me as their main help person for the Intrascript program. Anyway, today Dave had all his wisdom teeth pulled, so I was fielding all the calls. A lot of the times I communicate with clients through MSN messenger and also with Dave. Well, he IMd me and told me that someone had called and left a message and asked me to call them back. Then he IMd me saying Help, and asked me to call his mother to tell her to bring him some more gauze because he was bleeding more, oh, and sorry to gross me out. So I called his mother. It took me a little bit to explain to her that I was her son's new employee in Michigan, calling her to let her know that her son needed some help from her. She was confused at first, but I finally was able to explain to her what was going on. She was pleased to talk to the smart lady in Michigan who she had heard about, but had not heard what my name was. She wondered why her son hadn't called her himself. I explained that he probably couldn't talk. She finally said that she would go over to his house and hung up. I IMd Dave back and told him that she was on her way. What a strange work day. It makes you think about how close we all are because of the internet. To be able to help someone and work for a company that is Arizona. I talk to clients in Portland, Oregon, and Florida, and Georgia, and everywhere in between.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! How interesting and how amazing!! This job sounds like one that is "tailormade for you"! Glad that you are liking it so far! You certainly are one busy person . . . Good for you . . .

Brett said...

I always find this trend amazing too. When Chris was in Florida, living in a hotel room paid for by his employer, we communicated through IM. Then he told me how to hook up a microphone and we talked through IM. Through the connection we chatted and I could see every song he was listening to as his IM system was synced with his player.

I always revel in the pleasure of getting "the job done" in this fashion. Possibilities seem endless, and usually are.

The entire world shrinks to 17 inches with this kind of power at your fingertips. You are individually suited for this type of work, and effective at it. Shouldn't you change your logins to "techi-mom" or something like that? You've got the gift -- flaunt it.

Brett said...

Oh, and how old is this guy Dave who didn't buy enough gauze before taking his pain meds?

I mean, really, relying on a contact in Michigan to have your mother bring you more seems a little... dependant.

Deborah Ruthenberg said...

Well, as a mother, it is sometimes good to feel needed. My kids are way too self sufficient. Or I live too far away. Not sure which. I don't know how old my boss is. Probably in his 30's.

Kari said...

Brett, did you just say "flaunt"?

Mom, I hope you enjoy this job for a while. It does seem like a good fit. I know your like me, your likes and dislikes seem to change with the seasons. :) Or, I'm sorry, I'm like you. I really do know how all that works.

Mindy Richmond said...

I think you're right, we all are rather independent. Although I'm working on changing that. Could you come over and do my laundry?

Brett said...

I don't mean to rag on him. I was just poking fun.