Thursday, January 12, 2006

Sometimes life goes your way and surprises you.

I am so excited. It is just a little thing, but it really made my day. Dave and I have a website, if I haven't mentioned it before (hehehe) * www.macreportonline.com * and we have been paying 9.95 a month for the website. We had 200 mb of data storage and 5 gb of bandwidth for transfering data. Well, with all the pictures and movies and stuff that we want to put on the website, I wanted to find a better solution for the same or less money a month. I tried one web hosting company, but they didn't support the Gallery program that we use for the photo album. So I found another one that was awesome. 10 gb of data storage and 250 gb for transferring files for 7.95 a month. And they handled the Gallery. I transferred all our files to that site, and then I was notified by the old web hosting service that I was over the 5 gb file transfer. I decided that I had better hurry up and transfer the domain name to the new service, so I called the CyberMind, the old service. The young girl answering the phone couldn't find my account. I was irritated with her, as we have been with them for a year and a half and I know I talked to her this summer. Plus they charge our bank account monthly. I told her that I was in the process of ending my account with them because I found a better deal. So I asked to speak to the technician or the owner. The technician called back and he remembered me and actually found my account on their system. He said that I was a good customer and he didn't want to lose me, so he said he would talk to Tim, the owner, and see if they could make me a deal. Tim called back and said that they fixed the transfer quota for this month and that he would match the deal that I had with BlueHost, so would I please stay with them. Of course, I said yes. I was flabbergasted. The plan that I have now with them is not one that is advertized on their website. This is so cool. Now I don't have to transfer my files and get things set up on the website and I have a much better plan for less money. I canceled the other plan and they were very nice about it. I would recommend them to others who want to host a website.

2 comments:

Mindy Richmond said...

The power of negotiating. You can save a lot of money if you're willing to haggle. Sometimes people will negotiate with you, sometimes they won't, but you never know until you try.

Kari said...

When we left T-mobile, they offered us a pretty good deal, more minutes for the same amount of money. We went to Centennial anyway, sometimes I kick myself because we pay more monthly now (due to the advertised price not including anything - voicemail and all that other crap you need). I love fine print, but it is nice to have centennial to centennial with Marks fam and Brett, free incoming, all that makes me not worry about going over my minutes.
Company's do like to haggle, you just have to be willing to give something up if they don't want to haggle.