Thursday, November 01, 2007

halloween

It was kind of fun last night. I made Dave go buy some candy. He did good. He bought two bags, one of sweet tarts and the other suckers. I put them all in a bowl. Then I turned on the porch light, got my Eastern Michigan sweatshirt and cap on and waited for the kids to show up.

Right on cue, they started coming to the door. Cute kids, large and small. I got a kick out of the older kids. They half-heartedly got dressed up, held out their pillow cases, and did a nice job of saying thank-you. They didn't even look sheepish that they were "too old" for this. Nope, they wanted candy and were just having a good time walking around asking for it.

The other cool thing was that I was standing on my porch, I looked south down the street and there was a lot of activity, kids and parents walking around, people chatting with each other, someone mowing their lawn. It looked friendly and peaceful. What a nice looking block of houses. Maybe that is why people were driving in from somewhere else and trick or treating on our street. Yes, they were. I noticed a car with a load of people. After they were done with the block, they opened their trunk and poured the bag(s) of candy into a container in their trunk. Hmm, they were amassing quite a stash.

Well, we ran out of candy fairly quick. Guess we will get 3 bags next year. I turned off the porch light and closed the blinds. No one came to the door after that.

Last year we went away for the evening, but I am glad we didn't this year. I enjoyed seeing all the kids and saying hi to the parents.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I'm glad you enjoyed in the festivities even after your comment on Mindy's blog. I guess you had a change of heart...or Dave going to the store to get the candy was enough for you to do the rest;)
I enjoy handing out the candy. Brett and I did it together two years ago, but I haven't done it since. I would have tried and worked and handed out candy, but we don't get trick or treaters here.
Next year I will probably figure something out since Charly will be old enough to go trick or treating.

Deborah Ruthenberg said...

Well, the fact that I was giving out sweet tarts and lollipops helped, I think.