Saturday, November 17, 2007

big boy restaurant

Dave and I eat out at least once a week and I think I am going to start writing critiques of the places that we eat. We have definite ideas of what we like and how we like to be served. Also, I tend to look around and be aware of how the restaurant seems to be run, how it is managed. So I will be commenting on different places that we eat at and my impressions.

I haven't figured out if I am going to have a scoring process, but if I do, I will come back and score this restaurant.

The first is the Big Boy Restaurant in Fowlerville, MI. We stopped at this place on our way to Mt. Pleasant. We had gotten a late start because we had to turn around to go back to the house because we forgot our binoculars for the football game. I have fond memories of Frisch's Big Boy from when I was growing up in Cincinnati, Ohio. My dad knew Dave Frisch and at one time was offered a job as a manager at one of the restaurants, but Dad turned the job down.

We were seated immediately and the waitress that seated us asked for our drink order. When she brought that, she informed us who our waitress would be and that she would be with us shortly. This is actually a very cool thing because it shows me that the waitresses are willing to help each other out. We didn't have to wait long for our waitress to show up and we made our order. I ordered the fish sandwich, Dave ordered the big boy sandwich (minus all sauce and stuff), and we ordered an order of fries to share. The food was delivered in a timely manner. Dave's food was prepared correctly with no extra stuff on it. My fish sandwich was perfect also. The fries were just right. The waitress refilled our drinks without asking and before our original drinks were empty.

Now what impressed me is that this fish sandwich seemed to taste the same as the first fish sandwich that I ever ate at a Big Boy restaurant. How can that be? That had to be about 48 years ago. Incredible. I have had some bad experiences at Big Boy restaurants when they run out of their signature tarter sauce and have to use the Gordon's brand. The sandwich tastes awful. This was just right.

We ordered the pumpkin pie. We usually don't get dessert, but the pie was so tempting. I asked for extra whipped cream if at all possible. The pie was delicious, not store bought, possibly fresh pumpkin.

Overall, it was a very nice experience.

More reviews of restaurants to come soon. Thursday night we went to a local bar, Malarkeys in Westland, MI, so that will be the next review.

The other noteable things about our experience was that the bathrooms were clean.

No comments: