Sunday, October 22, 2006

tastes from my childhood

There are certain tastes that I remember from my childhood and sometimes try to recapture. My mom's barbecue spareribs was my birthday meal. I would get the barbecue sauce all over my face.

My mom also would make mashed potates, egg noodles, and crumbled crackers sauted in butter to top them. You would pile the noodles over the mashed potatoes and the sprinkle the crackers over the pile. Then gravy poured over all of that. A heart attack waiting to happen, but my mother didn't die of heart problems and my dad is still alive at 84 years old.

But the one taste that I keep trying to recapture is the Frisch's Big Boy fish sandwiches. I don't know how often we would go there and how often I was allowed to have one, but it was at least two or three times. I remember the taste and feel of the tarter sauce and cod, mixed with the bun. It was delicious. My mouth waters just thinking of it. But trying to relive that taste can be disappointing. Elias Brothers Big Boy sometimes doesn't live up to the Frisch's Big Boy. One time I went to a Big Boy, all set to relive the experience and taste. I bit into the sandwich and almost gagged. They had run out of Big Boy tarter sauce and were using Gordon's Foods tarter sauce. Yuck.

Tonight I had a Swiss Miss, which is also made with the BB tarter sauce. It was good. But there was one bite that had just enough tarter sauce, lettuce, and bun that reminded me of the taste that I remember as a child. Heaven.

What tastes do you remember from your childhood?

1 comment:

Kari said...

I'm still thinking. I just can't think of anything in particular. What's up with that?
Well there is box pizza, McRib sandwiches, turkey casserole - or chicken. BBQ ribs and a kiddie cocktail while watching Jaws. I remember always eating on those "lunch" trays at your house, those were always fun. What happened to those?