Sunday, February 15, 2009

another gorgeous day in Oklahoma

With Sunday the only day Dave and I have both have off from work, we try to find something to do together that we both enjoy. But a lot of things are closed on Sunday in Enid, OK and if we want to do things outside, the weather sometimes doesn't cooperate. It did today.

We didn't have anything planned. We did have breakfast planned. We used to enjoy going out to eat for breakfast because it got us out of house and it was usually cheap. Since moving to Enid, we have been trying to find a good breakfast spot. There is no such thing. We have tried every place. IHOP, Wee Too Restaurant, Raymie's Restaurant, the Dutch Pantry and we cannot find another place that has breakfast on Sunday. Yesterday we thought we would try the Willow Inn (not an Inn). The internet said that it was open on Saturdays, not Sundays. Nope, not open. From the looks of the place I doubt the breakfast would have been acceptable.

So we have decided to give up on breakfasts. I will start cooking our favorite breakfast meals and try different recipes for breakfast. When the weather is warmer we will try to eat our breakfast outside. To get out and way from the apartment, we will have to do other things. Today we started with poached eggs, hash browns, bacon and english muffins.

So with nothing concrete in mind, we headed out at about 11 a.m. to see what we could find to do. We started driving north on U.S. 81. I got out the map and the GPS and noticed that we were headed to Kansas. At U.S. 11 I told Dave he had three options, north to Kansas, east to Ponca City, and west to the Great Salt Plains Wildlife Refuge. He wanted me to decide. I said west and I am glad I did. What a nice spot we found. We found a 1.25 mile nature trail with marshes, woods, and a lake. I didn't bring my camera, which is a shame because we saw an opossum, an armadilla, a herd of deer, a woodpecker, and lots of ducks and geese (mallards, wood ducks, and Canadian geese). Definitely a place that we will return to many times. As the seasons change the scenery will change.

1 comment:

Mindy Richmond said...

I love breakfast. It's my favorite meal. Sometimes we have it for dinner ;) Hiking is a much better get-out-of-the-house activity anyway, and it sounds like there is a whole new world for you two to explore down there. I can't wait to come visit.