Monday, July 17, 2006

Ikea takes you for a ride

I forgot to tell about our trip to Ikea the weekend before last. We went on Sunday, thinking that we could find a small kitchen table and chair set. The parking lot was in overflow mode. I considered telling Dave that we should go somewhere else. But we both were curious about what the big deal was. There were people in the parking lot directing the traffic. We couldn't believe it. Walking in was like walking into Cedar Point. You get a map and a pencil to mark off the items you want to pick up at the end in the furniture pickup. You have to stay on map's dotted line otherwise you get lost. There were crying kids, crying adults, wall-to-wall humanity, interspersed with furniture and shelves and bins. The items for sale sprung up randomly. It was a nightmare for agorophobic interverted individuals. Somehow Dave and I were able to find a table, possibly the perfect table for our kitchen. It is a half-circle with a rectangle that is the drop leaf, so that two, possibly four can fit at the time. We picked out two inexpensive chairs. I also begged for one more piece of furniture in my office (to make an L shape of my computer desk so that I can make notes with my left hand). All of these pieces needed to be picked up in the Furniture pick up area on the first floor. We were on the second floor. We tried going back the way we came, but the rush of humanity pushing forward toward their goal was too great and we were forced to conform and follow "the path". Now without the map, I doubt we would have found our way downstairs, even with the signs and the arrows on the floor. It was just to confusing. Sometimes, it seemed like a particular mean-spirited haunted house where you are turned back onto the path you just came.

Well, as you can guess, we made it out of there and yes we even were able to pick up the unassembled furniture and take them home. Assembling furniture - that is another story to tell. Dave and I are not the best people to try to assemble things together with. I think I know how to do everything, and Dave hates doing it and those two attitudes do not go along well.

No comments: