Saturday, June 10, 2006

night out at the bar

Dave and I went out to see our friend Mike Katon at the Northfield Roadhouse. We went a little early so we could partake of their menu. Plus Mike had promised to give us one of his new CDs that he produced on his own label. Dave wrote the liner notes for the CD. Diablo Boogie The notes take up a whole page on the inside of the CD cover. I

Going to the bar to hear Mike is always interesting. The bar wasn't very full. The food was pretty good, though. Dave and I both had two beers and then switched to coca-cola, but the coke was flat. The waitress said something about it being the bar coca-cola. Not exactly sure what she said because Mike's music is so loud that a conversation is impossible. That is what we like about Mike, his energetic, heart-thumping, guitar playing. His drummer, Johnny, sat and talked to us for a little bit before they started playing for the night. Johnny, is an awesome drummer, who is a carpenter by day. He had an interesting story to tell. Maybe Dave will post a comment and tell the story, or at least as much as he could hear of it.

People watching was interesting also. Three drunks came in later in the evening, two men and a young woman. They were loud and boisterous. The woman kept wanting to dance and the two men took turns dancing with her. As the men staggered to the dance floor they both eyed me. I don't know why they took an interest in me at all. Maybe because I wasn't sitting that close to Dave and they thought I was available to even things up for their group. The older guy stopped at our table and leaned on it as if he was tired from dancing. I could feel Dave's irritation with him rising. I kept my eyes on the band, feinting deep interest in Mike's playing, and ignoring the man at our table. He didn't take the hint. He came over to my side and leaned over me and tried to talk to me, which was impossible because the music was loud and he was slurring his words. Finally, he went away. Thank goodness.

There was an older couple off in a corner. The woman was wearing a jean skirt that was way too short for her, especially at her age. They had been playing kissy face all evening. During Mike's song, Barbecue on my Boogie, which is kind of a suggestive song, I noticed that the woman was facing the guy, straddled over his lap, playing their kissy face game. Dave and I were totally grossed out by this ugly display.

Well, all in all the night was good. We got to listen to rip roaring good rockin' blues and visit with Mike and Johnny. The food was very good and we didn't have to stay home and watch mindless television.

Of note, please, no one let me drink beer ever again. I woke up at 3 am with a migraine. It is better now, but still feel a little fuzzy around the edges.

No comments: