Monday, March 15, 2010

Getting old

I admit it..I am overweight and sedentary. Yes, I have let myself go. But I am happy. So, am I doing anything to fix this situation? Well, maybe. Maybe with a little help from the blogosphere and my friends and family. We shall see. Hopefully everyone still loves me whether I am fat or not.

Anyway, when we moved to Oklahoma we signed up to a small gym and thought we would go there regularly to walk and use the gym equipment. But my feet started hurting and Dave never really did like it, so we stopped going.

Since then Dave has embarked on his diet and weight loss. He has lost 22+ pounds and counts his calories religiously via the livestrong.com website.

In the meantime, I am still heavy and my bones ache and creak. I need to get moving. But with the weather being bad and Dave's working hours being so crazy, we haven't been able to get outside and walk.

So....I visited a local establishment called Body Solid. That sounds good. My body isn't very solid and maybe they can make it more solid. There are all kinds of torture chamber type machines in the open airy space and it felt welcoming. So I tentatively asked what their prices and policies were. They don't have a yearly or monthly commitment fee. There is an initial fee of $75 to find out your body age, flexibility, and general state of your health. Then you can sign up with a personal trainer for as low as $20/30 minutes as little or as often as you would like. Then I think you can use the state of the art treadmills (with individual overhead TVs) as often as the gym is open and as long as you have appointments set with your personal trainer.

Last Friday I had my initial assessment. Oh my lord. My 58-year-old body thinks it is 73 years old, or at least that is what the program tells me. After the assessment, I stayed to walk the treadmill for about 15 minutes. I left with a game plan for diet and exercise.

I started using Dave's website to track my calorie intake. Luckily my calorie goal for the day is more than what Dave uses. But then I won't be able to loose a much weight as quickly either. Maybe I will stick with it longer.

Tonight I go back for a 20 minute training session. I will let you know how I do.

So far after three days on the diet, nothing has happened. :(



No comments: