Sunday, November 02, 2008

Poem by my Grandfather, Willis McMillan

My dad, Jerry McMillan, gave my sister a poem that his dad, Willis McMillan, wrote. Cindi sent it to me. I would like to share it here.

Those Golden Years
By: Willis McMillan

Some fifty years ago
When my heart was all aglow
I met a little girl named Lucille.
She was so neat, with much eye appeal.
She lived with her sister, mother, and father on a hill
In a little town called Waynesville.
At church and socials she played the piano,
And very popular as you all may know.
On Sundays and holidays, rides we would take
In her father’s new Model T.
They asked me to go along for company’s sake
And that made me as proud as could be.
Four sons was all we had –
Wendell, Gerald, Irwin, and Richard Eugene.
They all were healthy fine lads.
That made six of us on the team.
When brother Dillon lost his mate,
Lenora and Jo Ann we did take.
We loved them like they were our own,
And we all tried to give them a happy home.
In 1942, Lucille not feeling her best,
We moved to Cincinnati for a rest.
Our four sons in the service for U. S. A.
Thank God, all safe home, we did pray.
Wendell, Martha; Jerry, Gerry Ellen; Dick and Pat –
All found homes with a welcome mat.
Grand children: we’ll say seven.
All good children go to heaven.
Linda, Tommy, Debbie, Cindy, Mike,
Dale and Timmy;
All together that’s a good many.
Oh, yes, one great-grandchild.
Right now that’s putting it mild.
Now Johnny in February 1964 died.
Then at that time all of us cried.
Mom was my secretary and kept the money.
She from the start was my honey.
Wonderful golden years together liven.
And I thank God for all blessings given.

1 comment:

Kari said...

That is cute;)