Friday, December 01, 2006

comment overheard

I overheard this comment while at the MAC Championship game. Three people, two males, one female, were watching the TV screens. There was a break in the football game and the Fan Cam was scanning the crowd for interesting people. One fan had brought a sign that said: I had to sell my plasma to come here.

The female watching this turned to her co-workers and said: "You mean he had to sell his plasma TV to come here?"

Oh, my, gosh......did she really not know? Well, I overheard this as I passed them, and I turned to say: "He had to sell his blood plasma." My comment was returned with confused stares. Yikes.

3 comments:

Mindy Richmond said...

I have to admit my first thought was of a plasma tv, but my second thought was that if they had to sell their tv, it probably would have been for a Tigers playoff game or something. So blood plasma, yeah. That is sad that they didn't understand even after you explained it!

Deborah Ruthenberg said...

Plasma TV never entered my mind until I heard her say it. I wonder why.

On another note, Dave and I were watching an old TV show and there was something mentioned about a package coming C.O.D. Dave commented that young people nowadays wouldn't even know what that meant.

Brett said...

I thought blood plasma too, but I can see how a TV is the first thing to come to mind for most. After all, it's the hot item everyone wants to have and the average person is not likely to hear the word plasma apart from the plethora of advertisements.

Selling plasma isn't really something you concern yourself with if you can afford a plasma TV, and who paid attention in high school anyway?

And yes, C.O.D. is dead to the coming generation. Heck, the C. could be a foreign concept in a couple more generations.

Kids may know what a "cell" is but some may look at you like you're foreign if you say "cellular telephone."