Wednesday, August 02, 2006

sweltering heat

One more day of the heat. How is everyone else holding up?

Me, I am thankful for air conditioning. Although this poor air conditioner is having a hard time keeping up. It is 80 degrees in the house now. I am thinking of moving my computer to the basement. Actually, Dave and I should have bought an air mattress yesterday and slept downstairs. Dave didn't sleep well. Me, I had a small fan on me. Not sure why Dave didn't want the fan. Maybe I just forgot to ask him.

We also were lucky that our electricity hasn't gone out yet. The lights went out for a second last night. Later we heard that quite a few people just south of us were without electricity. I guess they were without it all night. Then their's came back on and more people lost their electricity on the other side of the road (Warren).

I have been keeping all the blinds closed, using as little electricity as possible (although I have a fan running today in my office).

Dave works at DTE and they sent an email around to everyone regarding "internal load reduction". What that means is that DTE would be turning off half of their lights and not running some of the elevators and other energy conserving measures. Dave's office is in the bowels of the building and they had half their lights off. Then later in the afternoon, the rest of the lights were turned off. Only the computer screen and the lights at their desk worked. He said that if they were working with all the lights off again today he would come home. He doesn't do well in low light. He thinks DTE got something mixed up, because another department had all their lights on. Someone threw the wrong switch or something. Or maybe it was on purpose, as his department is a contracted service and not DTE employees.

No comments: